Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Mr. Bee has been perfecting his recipe for blood orange margaritas. We first had this liquid sunshine when we went to San Antonio back in June. For a little July 4th celebration we hosted for our neighbors, he worked and worked until he came up with the perfect blend of ingredients. I have to say it was fun helping him taste each batch. Here's his recipe...
3 parts Blood Orange Juice (no fear, there is no blood involved. It's a type of orange that makes a lovely shade of dark reddish orange). You can use either fresh juice or ready made.
2 parts Tequila
1 part Cointreau
1/2 part fresh lime juice
1/2 part simple syrup or agave nectar.
For the party he made the simple syrup which is one part sugar, one part water simmered on the stove. He added a few sprigs of fresh mint and let the mint steep in the syrup. That was my favorite version. If you have the time, I recommend this step.
Chill the ingredients and pour over ice. We prefer on the rocks, but you could also freeze it.
Sunday, July 6, 2014
This recipe for BBQ baked beans is a Southern Living recipe I've had in my file since 2007. They are so good. I make mine in the crock pot so they can simmer on low for several hours. But, you can also bake them in the oven if you are short on time.
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
There I was minding my own business and Groupon sent me a message that they were offering SeaWorld tickets for a steal. I thought, you never know when one might want to go to SeaWorld, so I purchased three tickets. Then, Groupon being the smart one, sent me a Groupon for the Holiday Inn near the park. Free shuttle service, free breakfast, free cocktails in the evening. Then, it spiraled into a trip.
Monday, June 30, 2014
One of my favorite meals to cook myself is eggs. If I don't want a heavy meal, but I want something that will fill me up I will make scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast and a few strips of bacon. For breakfast I like poached eggs. Mr. Bee likes his eggs runny. I prefer them to be soft boiled. Here's how I do it...
Boil your water in a small saucepan. We buy our brown eggs at Costco.
Before you put the eggs in the water, prick the end with an ice pick. You can see the bubbles coming up and a little bit of egg white escaped in the water. This helps to prevent the egg shell from cracking during cooking and makes it easier to peel when you're ready to eat them. Boil for 6 minutes then take off the burner. Run the egg under cold water while you peel it.
If you want a runnier egg, then cook it a minute less. I like mine soft, but not runny. Add a little salt and pepper, a crispy English muffin, bacon and fruit and you have a really balanced meal for anytime of the day.
Saturday, June 21, 2014
This past week I tackled painting my back door to the patio and the pantry door. I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite. I have used ASCP for several years now. You can learn more about it in the link, but if I had to summarize why I like it -- it's very forgiving, you don't have to prime your furniture, and you can easily layer several colors to get new looks. I mentioned in the previous post I did this for a client and it inspired me to do the same thing to my doors.
Sunday, June 15, 2014
Mary Richards (as in the Mary Tyler Moore show...my favorite character ever. I would want to be her), had a day like today it would be just what I did. I had the house to myself today. The only thing that was missing was Rhoda dropping in for coffee.
- Slept until 10 a.m.
- Drank coffee and made myself pancakes.
- Started watching the CBS tv series The Good Wife. I know it's been on for about 10 years, but I never took the time to watch it. I am renting it from the library. I am in love with Chris Noth. As in Mr. Big. I want to marry him.
- Went to work out to work off the pancakes. I told myself that if I go I would be proud of myself afterward and I was. I just used "myself" twice in one sentence. Mary Richards was a tv news producer she would never do that.
- Ate a grilled chicken sandwich and apples from Wendy's.
- Watched another four episodes of the Good Wife. That makes a total of 8 episodes in one day.
- Prepped Miss Bee's bathroom for painting tomorrow. Her bathroom is dirty. She's 14 what did I expect? Painter will judge me. Don't care.
- It's 7 p.m., what will I do until 10 p.m. I could make a batch of lemon bars, but I think I will do that tomorrow. Want to try and stay on my 12 hour health kick. I may start my second book of the summer....because I finished the first one!
- Attachments by Rainbow Powell is the best book ever. That's not saying much because I don't read. But it is SO GOOD! It's the sweetest little romantic, quirky book. You will love it. Easy read.